Hey there BlackRadioIsBack.com & FuseBox Radio Broadcast Family,
Hope that things are going well for you and yours!
My 9 to 5 and other obligations have been running a sis over here a bit ragged, so I'm trying to get back to the at least once a day posting that we had back in the day with the site to hit y'all with the cool music, reviews and such.
Anyway, we have a new free download from UK DJ Chris Read - whose work is known from his 12 year run of the Hip-Hop , Funk & Soul "Substance" club events & spinning for BBC 1Xtra - which is a follow up of the dope "The Diary (World's Greatest Rap Megamix)" late in 2007 called "The Diary Volume 1.5 (20 Years of the Remix)".
"The Diary Volume 1.5 (20 Years of the Remix)" is a megamix paying tribute to iconic Hip-Hop music tracks from last 20 years, each of them being remixed to pay tribute to the prouction style and sampling trends popular at the time of the track's original release. The production sampling styles cover everything from the James Brown influenced style of the late '80s, the jazz sampling trend of the mid '90s and everything in between of DJ Premier and Jay Dee.
Feel free to get the download here (right click and "save as") which includes the music tracks, cover art, tracklisting and let us know that you think...
Hope you enjoy it!
The Diary Volume 1.5 (20 Years of the Remix) Tracklisting:
1 – Chris Read Theme #3 (Intro)
Style References: Mid ‘90s mixtape intros and late ‘90s turntablism.
2. Heavy D – We Got Our Own Thang (Chris Read Remix) (1989)
Style References: The late ‘80s productions of Hurvy Luv Bug, selected 45 King productions and selected output of the Tuff City label.
3. Eric B & Rakim – Let The Rhythm Hit Em (Chris Read Remix) (1990)
Style References: Eric B & Rakim’s “Know The Ledge” and horn sampling early Showbiz productions.
4. Nice and Smooth – Hip Hop Junkies (Chris Read Remix) (1991)
Style References: Early ‘90s remixes by the Stimulated Dummies and selected cuts from the UMCs’ “Fruits of Nature” album.
5. Ultramagnetic MCs – Poppa Large (Daily Diggers Remix) (1992)
Style References: Drums in the style of early Diamond D productions and unconventional digging sources generally.
6. The Whooliganz – Put Your Handz Up (Chris Read Remix) (1993)
Style References: Sampling jazz in the style of Bush Babees’ “Swing It” and bass lines in the style of Beatminerz’ remix of House of Pain’s “On Point”.
7. The Beatnuts – Props Over Here (Chris Read Remix) (1994)
Style References: The mid 90s remix output of Buckwild and Lord Finesse’s “Awakening” LP.
8. Mobb Deep – Survival of the Fittest (Chris Read Remix) (1995)
Style References: Mobb Deep and Q Tip’s productions on Mobb Deep’s “Infamous” LP.
9. Busta Rhymes – Woo Hah, Got You All In Check (Chris Read Remix) (1996)
Style References: The mid to late ‘90s output of a Tribe Called Quest and Ummah productions generally.
10. Beatnuts – Off The Books (Chris Read Remix) (1997)
Style References: Selected mid to late 90s Beatnuts productions.
11. Unspoken Heard – Better (Chris Read Remix) (1998)
Style References: Selected Sound Providers productions and All Natural and Lone Catalyst’s “Renaissance”.
12. Common – Car Horn (Chris Read Remix) (1999)
Style References: Reflection Eternal’s “2000 Seasons” and the late ‘90s jazz sound generally.
13. Jurassic 5 – Quality Control (Chris Read Remix) (2000)
Style References: Cut Chemist, Nu Mark and sampling Funk 45s in general.
14. Jaz O and Immobilaire – Love Is Gone (Chris Read Remix) (2001)
Style References: The much imitated DJ Premier drum sound and DJ Premier remixes of the early ‘00s generally.
15. Jay Dee feat Frank N Dank – Pause (Chris Read Remix) (2002)
Style References: Selected early ‘00s Jay Dee productions. The legacy of the late great Jay Dee, J Dilla, Dill Withers, Dilla Dawg…
16. Kev Brown – Allways (Chris Read Remix) (2003)
Style References: The rising popularity of the soul clap snare.
17. Encore feat. Ladybug Mecca – Real Talk (Chris Read Remix) (2004)
Style References: The mid ‘00s output of Encore, Basic Vocab and Dave Ghetto. More soul clap snares.
18. Floetry feat. Common – Supastar (Chris Read Remix) (2005)
Style References: Erykah Badu’s “Danger” and selected Scott Storch productions.
19. Lupe Fiasco – Kick, Push (Chris Read Remix) (2006)
Style References: Lupe Fiasco’s “Kick, Push” and producers bringing back ‘traditional’ drums in ’06 generally.
20. Little Brother feat Carlitta Durand – Life Of The Party (Chris Read Remix)
Style References: Filtered soul in the style of 9th Wonder and minimal drums in the style of Nottz. Everybody bringing back Long Red in ’07.
21. Black Grass feat J Live – Set It Straight (Chris Read Remix) (2008)
Style References: Anyone still putting in the effort in ’08.
22. Nothing’s Gonna Stop Me (Outro)
Style References: The ARE's 'Uphill Piece of Mine' EP and chopped soul on 45.
All tracks produced and engineered by Chris Read except Track 5 (produced by Daily Diggers, engineered by Daily Diggers and Chris Read). All scratches performed by Chris Read except Track 14 (scratches performed by DJ Premier). All vocal production is credited to the original artists / producers.
Bonus mp3 Download:
Chris Read - Tribute to the Adidas Shelltoe (right click and "save as")
Music of Substance Official Website
Music of Substance Official MySpace Page